Saturday, February 2, 2013

IMAGE TRANSFER USING DONNA KATO'S WATER BASED TECHNIQUE

I just started playing with image transfers, which I haven't done in a very long time.  Previously I had done transfers using Lazetran Silk paper.  My reason for working with transfers again was a post that had a link to a Donna Kato video of her water based technique. Check out her free tutorial  Donna Kato's Polymer Clay Image Transfer Technique.  I found the technique extremely easy to do.  I don't know if all laser printers work as well.  I have a Samsung CLP 315W.

A few comments on the video:
  1.  She doesn't specify how long to let the image sit before spraying with water.  I sprayed it as soon as I was done burnishing. 
  2. I found it easy to feel when all the paper was off of the clay, so I used touch more than sight to know when all the paper was off.
  3. I also ran running water over the clay to get the last bits of paper off.
  4. I also did a quick test with a laser copy that has been sitting in my studio for a couple of years.  It transferred, though there was an area that didn't transfer as well.  I can't say for sure if it was because the transfer was old.  I used previously conditioned clay, but it was still pretty cool when I placed the transfer over it.  Since my studio is in the basement of my Minnesota (in winter) home, and the heat wasn't on, the 53 degree room temperature might have had something to do with it.

This is a pendant in progress using the first image I transferred.  The image on clay is as good as the image was on the paper.  The portion within the gold metal frame is slightly domed.  I didn't have any problems with the image cracking when it was slightly stretched to dome.

No comments: